Published in 1887, “Еврейский Вестник” (“Jewish Herald”) was the first Jewish Latvian newspaper. However, Jewish press only gained popularity during Latvia’s independence, as liberal press rules allowed for free journalism in Jewish languages. As most broadly available Jewish newspapers and magazines published between 1920 and 1940 are collected and stored in the National Library of Latvia or the Academic Library of the University of Latvia, the museum focuses on collecting local, one-time or foreign (mostly German and Russian) publications. The museum’s collection includes calendars and almanacs, such as the Latvian Liberation Society’s or Zionist’s almanac or the public and activity reports of several Jewish associations. The illegal publications during Soviet occupation by “Samizdat” are significant as well as the activity of Jewish congregations, associations and schools during and after regaining independence.