About the building
The museum is located in the building of the Riga Jewish community, a historical building which was once a Jewish club and theatre. It was built in the years 1913-1914 by the architect Paul Mandelstam. Here in 1926 a Jewish theatre troupe started its performances, and thus the building was renovated. Various public organisations and a Jewish library were also located in this building. Jewish celebrations were often organised here – weddings, lectures, shows and meetings. During the years 1941-1944, the Nazi occupation of Latvia, a German officers’ club was located here. During Soviet times the building served as a place of political education: various ideological events, as well as congresses of the Communist party were held there. The building was given back to the Jewish community in the early 1990s. Currently the building is a state-protected architectural monument.